James Macintyre & Co
Silver Topped Porcelain Bird's Egg Scent Bottle
Full Hallmarks for CS & FS, Cornelius Sanders & Frank Shepherd
Registration mark Rd 20772 for James Macintyre & Co
Measures 4.5cm length and 2.5cm width
James Macintyre & Co was established in 1847 as makers of china and ceramics at the Washington Works, Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent
James Macintyre was in business with William Sadler until March 1854 when the partnership was dissolved and Macintyre continued the works on his own. The china and ceramics work continued up to 1928 but only electrical ware was produced after this date. In 1966 Macintyre & Co was taken over by T. Arrowsmith and Sons but Macintyre continued to produce porcelain for electrical insulating purposes under its own name.
From 1897 Moorcroft pottery was developed at a studio in the factory by William Moorcroft and in 1904 he won a gold medal at the St. Louis International Exhibition, followed with further medals and commendations. In 1912 William left Macintyres, taking his workforce to a new factory in Sandbach Road where Moorcroft pottery is still made today.
Saunders & Shepherd was founded in London by Cornelius Desormeaux Sanders Sr and James Francis Hollings Shepherd (1869). Became Saunders & Shepherd Ltd in 1899 and Saunders, Shepherd & Co Ltd in 1916. Active at Bartlett's Building-Holborn Circus, London (1873-1902)